Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Weigh In Wednesday

You always here conflicting things, weigh yourself once a day, weigh yourself once a week, get rid of the scale and gauge your weight by your clothes. I have always been a girl (for as long as I can remember) that weighs herself multiple times a day. Multiple means anywhere from 3 to 10+. In my mind I know that your weight fluctuates throughout the day and that you are going to be heavier at the end of the day, after eating meals, after weight lifting, etc. but for some reason I still did it.

I read somewhere that Wednesday is the best day to weigh yourself because it is the middle of the week. I am not sure how true this holds, but I know I would rather gauge my weight on a Wednesday rather than a Monday after a weekend when I usually eat too much and drink alcohol. Maybe that is the reasoning behind weighing in on Wednesdays, maybe not. But I decided that I will do a "weigh in Wednesday" which will be the only time during the week that I weigh myself. All other days I hide my scale. Even though I know where it is, being out of sight helps me for some reason.

Some may be wondering why I don't get rid of the scale completely. Well, I probably should but there are a few reasons. One being when I don't weigh myself for long periods of time (i.e. 1 month) I always find that I gain weight in that time, usually around 6-10 pounds. This has happened every time I went for a month without weighing myself. Although some of you may think that is a good thing, and that weight doesn't matter (which to an extent it doesn't, as long as you are eating right, exercising, getting enough sleep, etc.), it is a comfort thing for me. Also, this probably sounds completely ridiculous, but I like to know how much I weigh so that when I go to the gym I can plug in my weigh on the treadmill, elliptical, or bike. Although the calories burned are not completely accurate and neither would be my weight at that point in time, I would rather have a more accurate prediction on calories burned than not. I guess that is just a little quirk of mine.

So if anyone is a victim of the scale, but still wants to keep in check every once in a while, try a weigh in Wednesday. Other options would be weighing yourself every other week or once a month. If you are brave enough, get rid of the scale completely. I hope to get there one day, but right now, just weighing myself once a week will be the first step!


No comments:

Post a Comment