Sunday, January 6, 2013

Live Life as a Semicolon

I saw a picture of a girl with a tattoo of a semicolon on her wrist that covered her self harm scars. The caption said "A semicolon is used when a sentence could have been ended, but it wasn't." This got me thinking. I am assuming the girl got this regarding her self harm scars. A reminder that her life could have ended by suicide but it wasn't. A reminder that she is still here despite everything she has gone through.

Now a semicolon could refer to many things. A cancer survivor, a car accident, losing a loved one and thinking your world was going to end. Like a sentence, our lives eventually will end but there is hope that in a time where we think the end is near a "semicolon" comes along and gives us a second chance. A semicolon can be anyone or anything. Whether it is your significant other, God, a friend, a doctor, a song, a quote, or a long walk, your semicolon is there to keep you going when you think it is the end.

I have no idea who this girl is but if you happen to stumble upon my blog, I want you to know that I am proud of you. Proud of you for not giving up. And I am thankful for you, thankful that you are giving me a new outlook on life. Our lives don't have to end prematurely because of the circumstances we are in. We need to remember that there is always that semicolon that can keep us hanging long for a little bit longer and help us get through whatever we are currently facing.

So live life as a semicolon. Be a semicolon for someone else. Help them through the bad times and let them know that everything will be okay. Be a semicolon for yourself. Fight whatever you are going through and realize that your life does not have to end now. Just as this sentence does not have to end right now, neither does your life.

Original image found here.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently got a semi colon on my wrist 2 days ago for this exact reason, to always remind myself my sotry has not yet finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In a few months I will be getting a semicolon tattoo on my wrist to cover my self harm scars. Every time I think of self harming again I will draw a butterfly where I'm wanting to hurt myself, normally its on my wrists. But if I end of self harming then all the butterflies die. It has helped me a lot through these past couple of months. So in a few months I'm going to get a butterfly and semicolon tattoo on each of my wrists.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to get this too. I noticed your wrist looks like mine because I'm a cutter. I'm happy you're staying strong.

    ReplyDelete